Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Compound by S. A. Bodeen


The Compound by S.A. Bodeen starts off with a nuclear bomb attack. Eli and his family escape to their fallout shelter built three stories underground. However, in the rush, they are separated from Eli's twin and his grandmother.

For fifteen years the family must live in this compound and wait out the nuclear winter. Luckily, Eli's father is a gagillionaire, so the compound is stocked with nicer accouterments than my house. They have a hydroponic garden to grow...ahem...vegetables. They have a livestock area. His father has spared no expense and has thought of everything in preparing this underground hideout.

Six years into living in the compound, little things start to go wrong. The food supply is running low. Eli suspects something is awry with his father. When Eli begins investigating he is able to find a wireless connection with his laptop...that connection with the outside world blows the lid off of life in the compound.

Watch a video trailer of The Compound on MacMillan's site.

I have to say that the more and more YA fiction I read this year, the more I appreciate the fact that my parents pretty much let me live my life without trying to kill me. Thanks, mom & dad!

No comments: