Saturday, February 14, 2009

Daughter of the Flames


When I got Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott in the mail, I thought the cover looked interesting. I gave the flap a little read, and it wasn’t made up of the things that I usually like in a book.

I am so glad that I tried it out.

I enjoyed the heck out of the ideas that Marriot presented.

Our heroine, Zira has been raised in the Ruan faith. She has been taught to believe in God, the mother. She has been trained to fight like a stealthy assassin. She is intelligent. She would have been beautiful, but she was caught in a fire when she was little and her face was burned.

There is more to Zira’s story than meets the eye, however.

See, the fire that she was burned in was the fire that killed the Royal Family, a family in which she was the princess. When she was burned, a nanny whisked her away to safety among the Ruan people. Zira was raised never knowing that she was actually Zahira…the queen.

What a conundrum.

Now a series of events have brought her to the doorstep of her Uncle, the man responsible for the dangerous and heartbreaking fire. Zahira must find a way to outsmart King Abheron and lead her people to safety and peace.

There are, of course, some twisty sub-plots along the way that add flavor.

Marriott lays some nice groundwork for her story and I thought she did a good job of writing thoughtful characters. Like all books, there were minor flaws, but nothing you couldn’t overcome while reading for the greater good of the story.

It has my stamp of approval!

No comments: