Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Help


Very rarely do I choose to read "adult" fiction. But since everyone on the planet has something to say about The Help by Kathryn Stockett, I decided to give it a try.

I am so glad that I did. Thought it is technically classified as adult fiction, I'm positive that YA could read it and be equally enthralled. While reading it, I was repeatedly surprised that the things described happened - not ages ago in a far away place - but instead, only a decade before I was born.

Stockett draws us in by telling us a story using three different narrators, two black maids and one wealthy white lady, each with a perspective that will keep you turning pages to see what happens next. You like each character equally and you get quickly invested in their personalities...I was so invested that I stayed up reading until 2am in order to finish the book, something I haven't been compelled to do since college.

Stockett weaves together the story of life in the south, racial injustices, relationships with "the help", and the struggle to recognize that people are people and all are created equally. There are a lot of characters who choose NOT to see this, but these three ladies are committed to making that the truth. Through their telling, readers are introduced to friendship, love, heartbreak, and the struggle to do what is right. It is good food for thought. While it would be easy to demonize this way of life, Stockett also shows us kindness and goodness in the relationships presented.

This is an amazing read and I highly, highly recommend it!
It made me want to go back and read Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees!

No comments: