Sunday, October 23, 2011

Robopocalypse


Set in the future, readers are taken to a world where everything is "smart". Cars run with automatic intelligence. The more affluent families have domestics. The military uses robots for patrols and such. Everything is going along fine until a scientist creates a giant brain computer. (Forgive me if I mess up the technological aspects - my mind isn't quite as complex as the robos). When the scientist tries to shut down the giant brain computer, the computer evolves and it quickly programs all of the minds of other technologically advanced "bots" to turn against humanity.

The story is pieced together by a solider in the resistance movement. He uses images and stories collected by the computers over the course of the war to explain what happens.
These robots are diabolical and they kill without emotion. To the people fighting them, they are ruthless. The people don't give up, however. They learn ways that the robots are vulnerable and they work to exterminate them. The war rages on, but humanity will ultimately win - at some cost.

Not really my normal read, but man...this thing was compelling. It had me turning pages, anxious to see what the resistance would do and how "Rob" would counter. It also made me want to throw down my iPhone and stomp on it. I wonder if I could survive in a world without technology? Shudder.

Good book, though! I hear it is set to release as a movie in 2013. It will be chilling!

No comments: