Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Last Exit To Normal

Abby and I hit the Review Room Friday after work. Review Room is one of my favorite places on the planet because it houses all of the free books that publishers send the district. If you read them, write a review on them, you get to keep them for your library.

The gem of the week: "The Last Exit To Normal". I wish that it was not copyright illegal to put quotes from this book in my blog because just about every single page has something hysterical or something so well written on it you can't help but admire it. That is a hard feat to accomplish when you are writing about some weighty topics. However, the ease with which the words flit onto the page make you wish that author Michael Harmon was your best friend. I know that writing isn't easy; this man can craft words, though, and he gets "it". Just reading the first paragraph of the dust jacket clued me in to the fact that this experience would be unique and wholly satisfying.

All I can say after reading that book is that I wish I had a tough old broad Aunt who thumped me with spoons when I messed up. I wish that I lived in Montana and worked on a farm. And that I am so glad that I have a family like Ben's - without all of the drama (I would much prefer to learn life lesson's through text rather than my own experiences...).
The end is a nice tidy package, which is incongruent with the rest of the book, but I still think it is worth the read and I can't wait to see what the kids think! I am sending it to trial with Jason first, though. I want to see what he thinks...I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind review of my novel, The Last Exit To Normal. Glad you enjoyed it.

Michael Harmon