Sunday, December 14, 2008

I devoured The Devouring by Simon Holt

I started this book on Saturday morning. It came from Amazon late Friday night and I didn't have time to start it then. So Saturday morning when I came downstairs, it was waiting for me all shiny and new.

From the very first chapter, I was hooked.
I couldn't do laundry, cook, or clean (tongue in cheek), I could only DEVOUR Simon Holt's latest offering: The Devouring. If you have ever heard someone say: I don't like to read...then put this book in their hand.

It is horror, but it is somewhat more plausible than the vampire genre. Based on what we know of human nature, The Vours make a very good explanation for why evil exists in the world. You see, Vours take over your mind. They send you to whatever your own personal hell is (oddly enough, the main character and I share a firm dislike for spiders...making this a challenge to get through for me)...and you live in that personal hell forever while the Vour masquerades as you.
Creepy context.

The plot is compelling like crazy. You won't be able to resist this odd world that Holt has created. It is an excellent lesson in hope, however, hidden amongst the horrific events that unfold.

No comments: