Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Brutal by Michael Harmon


Before I begin, I just want to say that Michael Harmon is one of those great writers who always produces something that I will purchase. In the three different novels I have read, I have been impressed in three completely different ways.

Brutal is powerful.
Poe is a character who can change your life as a reader if you let her. She has the ability to teach you.
The story that Harmon weaves is compelling from start to finish.

Poe moves in with her father, a father she has never met. When Poe arrives at her new school, she takes in the injustices that she sees there and she decides to work to change those things. However, Poe's methodology challenges the norm and isn't well received. She will have to rely on advice from a father she doesn't know all that well, and she will have to change herself in order to change the future.

The title is apt. Brutal IS brutal. It stakes a good claim in your consciousness, if you let it. It will make you think, no matter what your position in life. Really, isn't that what a GOOD book is about?

Go pick this one up.
I know that I say that about a bunch of titles of different ilk that I have enjoyed.
For this book, I can only say that it Poe isn't always likable, but her overall motivation will move you.
Thank you, Michael Harmon, for writing this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael Harmon's best yet! I loved this book - even more than 'Skate' which I read to my jr high language arts class last year (plus practically forcing everyone at school and elsewhere to read "Skate".)