Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chains

Ode to Laurie Halse Anderson:

Everything you write turns to gold.
I am so glad that you chose writing as your profession.
When I read your books, I wish that I knew the characters personally.
And the best part is that I feel like I do!
Please don't stop writing.
Ever.

Chains was required reading this week.
I have to admit that it wasn't something that I was looking forward to...I was dragging my feet on the issue. I know the LHA is a fantastic writer, and it wasn't that I expected to be disappointed....I just wasn't ready to tackle the issue of slavery + the American Revolution. They are kind of heavy topics.

I should have known better.
LHA draws you in, setting an amazing stage of New York City. Isabel has been granted freedom by her mistress, who has recently passed. Isabel and her younger sister, Ruth, however, are not freed. Instead, they are passed on to another family member, their servitude continues.

The new family is made up of a harsh mistress with a hard knot of a heart. And her husband...he is a Red Coat sympathizer. In order to gain freedom, Isabel finds herself drawn into the position of a Patriot spy. She believes that this will ultimately free Isabel and Ruth. But things don't go according to plan. As the battle at home in the colonies begins, Isabel struggles with where her true alliance lies.

Every chapter begins with a quote from the time period. This quote, aside from being a fabulous primary source document, steeps the reader in the complexities of the issues of the time. Isabel's situation is prefaced by the quote, setting the stage for events that are to come.

The best praise I can give this book: when Isabel is branded, I gasped aloud. Jason, who was watching TV in bed next to me asked me what was wrong. I was that much a part of Isabel's story!!

Check out Simon & Schuster's author's page to learn more about this great author and her other titles. And be on the look out. Her newest book, Wintergirls, is due out March 19th! Can't wait!!

No comments: