Friday, February 3, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


This is a post September 11th novel and I cried approximately seventy five times while reading it, partly because I have a son, partly because I have such empathy for people who have actually lived this story, partly because all of our lives changed that day...but none so much as our main character, Oskar Schell. Oskar lost his father on 9/11. He has tried to deal with the loss, but it has been so difficult - they had an amazing relationship. When he finds a key in his father's closet, he knows it is a quest set up by his father - a final quest. He's glad to have something tangible, he's glad to have a task and a direction. Wandering across the city, he works to solve the mystery of the key - taking him into homes and lives that are all affected by the tragedy of 9/11. This book is more complex than I'm giving it credit for, but it is so, so good.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Putting this on my to read list