Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Paris Wife


Oh, Hadley Richardson...why did you have to go and marry Ernest Hemingway, the scalawag, and then suffer through the last part of five years only to get divorced. Wasn't your life hard enough?

I have to admit that reading Paula McLain's fictionalized account of the first Hemingway marriage was kind of difficult. I felt bad for Hadley - then mad that she didn't stand up for herself more - then mad that they would just add a child to that mix(who was grossly cared for by a nanny for no reason, as Hadley didn't work) - then disgusted that she didn't leave - then sad that she did leave. And as for Pauline...man...she better be glad I didn't meet her in the street. What a messed up little knot of people, ahem, "artists". But...it was also fascinating to imagine yourself in a time and place such as Paris during the 20s. Wow. What a life. That I wouldn't want. :) Overall, I'm glad to know what the hype is all about. Worth reading.

No comments: