Saturday, September 15, 2012

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

This book was highly entertaining. When I began reading about Bernadette, I didn't think that she sounded so crazy. Maybe a bit eccentric, but definitely someone I would've liked as a friend.  She was witty and she had some strong opinions - I loved how she thwarted her neighbor, but how she ultimately had a heart of gold.
But then, author Maria Semple, peels back a layer on the onion that is Bernadette, and a little more is revealed. Then a little bit more. And the things that I thought were funny - they started to become sad. Something I could empathize with, but a little less haha and a little more "hmmmm".

Bernadette takes us on a pretty funny ride. I found the end a little unrealistic, but it didn't ruin the whole thing for me. I'm still not sure how things will resolve with Bernadette, but I enjoyed thinking about her conundrums. While I don't aspire to be the kind of mom or wife that Bernadette was, I found her trials to be entertaining - all making for a quick read.

No comments: